Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday arrived in Russia’s Sochi for an informal summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in what he said would further strengthen the “special and privileged” strategic partnership between the two countries.
Official sources said the two leaders would meet for 4-6 hours for the “agendaless” talks where deliberations on bilateral issues were likely to be limited. But the focus will primarily be on global and regional issues, including the impact of the US decision to withdraw from a nuclear deal with Iran, situation in Afghanistan-Pakistan, Syria, Islamic State (IS).
This will be the first meeting between President Putin and Prime Minister Modi this year, however, since the beginning of the year, the two leaders have had several phone conversations.
Here are the live updates:
4.21 pm: PM Modi says Russia played a major role in helping India get a permanent membership in SCO.
“We are working together on International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC) and BRICS,” says Modi.
4.03 pm: India and Russia have been friends for a long time. Thankful to President Putin for inviting me for an informal meeting at Sochi, says PM Narendra Modi
4.00 pm: Prime Minister Narendra Modi meets Russian President Vladimir Putin.
1.00 pm: PM Modi reaches Sochi in Russia.
* On reaching, Prime Minister Modi will be received by local dignitaries at the airport. He is then scheduled to visit the residence resort of President Putin. President Putin will also host lunch for Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
* The two leaders may also deliberate on extending the Indo-Russia civil nuclear cooperation to third countries, possible areas for cooperation for the International North-South Transport Corridor project, India’s engagement with the five-nation Eurasian Economic Union and the situation in the Korean peninsula.
* Official sources said the two leaders would meet for 4-6 hours for the “agendaless” talks where deliberations on bilateral issues were likely to be limited.
* On the eve of his visit to Russia, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday hoped his talks with President Vladimir Putin would further strengthen the “special and privileged” strategic partnership between India and Russia.
* “Greetings to the friendly people of Russia. I look forward to my visit to Sochi tomorrow and my meeting with President Putin. It is always a pleasure to meet him,” he tweeted.